The St. Elizabeth Wellness Centre
St. Josephs’ Teachers' College recognizes that students-teachers with chronic diseases (life threatening) and, or disabilities may want and be physically able to work a regular or modified schedule and is prepared to accommodate them. The ultimate goal of our Wellness Programme is in keeping of the National Programme which is to improve the health status of our students and other staff members and ultimately ensure a better quality of life. The overall objective of the Wellness Programme is to create an environment that encourages the practice of healthy lifestyle thus influencing productivity, improvement in morale, alertness, focus, physical stamina and reduction in stress.
"We strive to empower and affirm our staff and students by providing an environment that encourages and allows for personal and professional development."
The St. Joseph's Teachers' College is committed to maintain a safe and healthy college environment; encouraging healthy lifestyle practices and enhancing the health and wellbeing of all its students and staff.
REASON FOR POLICY
The college acknowledges that healthy, positive individuals are more productive and that focusing on health and wellness can minimize and, or avert threats to health and safety. The college also believes that students should learn to be responsible for their health and adopt health-enhancing attitudes and behavior.
This policy is applicable to all existing students and staff members and should be read by all.
The Coordinated College Health Programme
This encompasses the following:
- An environment that is safe, physically, socially, and psychologically healthy and promote health enhancing behaviors;
- A health education programme which is designed to help maintain and improve students’ health;
- A physical education curriculum that involves moderate to vigorous activity, teaches motor skills and positive attitude and promote activities and sports that can be enjoyed;
- A nutrition service programme that encourages students to make healthy food choices;
- A health service programme that ensures access and referrals to primary health care services, prevent and control communicable diseases and other health problems and provides emergency care for illness and injury; and,
- A counseling, psychological, and social services programme that ensures access to assessments and interventions for students’ mental, emotional, and social health and wellbeing.
Features of Wellness Programme
- Healthcare Management
- Injury/Illness Prevention
- Counselling Services
- Sports/Physical Activities
- Welfare/Social Activities
- Annual medical examinations
- Provision of on-site medical services
- Medical surveillance
- Comprehensive medical health insurance coverages for staff and students
- Health education and counselling – individual and group
- Training in general... safe and healthy work practices
- Communication with employees on safety and health matters
- Hazard identification and evaluation
- Accident investigation
- Administrative control
- Stress Management
- Change Management
- Money Management
- General Counselling
- Behaviour Modification
- Netball and Football
- Track and Field Activities
- A fully equipped Gym
Welfare and Social Activities
- Annual award function (celebration of successes)
- Recognition of birthdays and special events
- Subsidized meals
- Canteen services with the provision of healthy choice menu
- Involvement in extra-curricular activities
- On-site medical care